Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Looking Back

I've seen a lot of people posting these "looking back at 2012" posts this week, and thought I'd jump on the band wagon.  However, the year has gone by so unbelievably fast, that I don't actually know if I can discern things that have happened in the last 12 months over the previous 12.  It's all a dizzying blur, a blend of activity contrasted with ennui. 

Balance.

Balance is good, hours/days/weeks/months spinning by at out-of-control, breakneck speed is not good.  All it means to me is that I'm getting older faster than I can keep up with from year to year.  And my roots are growing and needing to be dyed sooner and sooner every month.  What used to be an every-2-to-3-month activity is now every 4-to-5 weeks.  I think my hair will all fall out soon. 

Think I'm joking?

Anyway, this past year has been a happy one, full of the joys of meeting new (actually long-lost and previously unknown) family members (Steve's) back in March in Seattle, the not-too-painful transition from Kindergarten to 1st Grade, two beach vacations (one to New Jersey, one to Georgia), a new in-home, after-school aide for Samantha starting in August, whom we all love, a first hair cut in which a whole foot was donated to Locks of Love, full-time work for Steve for the first time since Samantha was born, my first NDSC conference in July (hoping to make next year's, too), my 5th year doing the DSANV calendar (!!), incredible leaps and bounds for Samantha in her IEP goals (she actually has been getting up in front of her class to present projects, perform in groups, etc.!  This is such a huge thing for her!), the deaths of two beloved geriatric cats within 2 months of each other, and the adoption of two beautiful, sweet, feral kittens soon afterwards, and so, so many other things I just can't think of right now. 

And, as always, I am thankful for health and family and friends (real and virtual), and hope for another fun and healthy and happy year ahead.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! I hope 2013 is your best year yet :)

Unknown said...

I have really enjoyed your blog after discovering it earlier in 2012. I love watching your Sammi grow and I hope 2013 is even better!

JC said...

You guys have had a great year! And I can't wait to see what 2013 brings you :)

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! So glad 2012 rocked! Cannot wait to c what 2013 brings! Smiles

Cindy said...

You had a full year! I hope 2013 is just as great!

Deborah said...

Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to reading about 2013's adventures. :)