Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hooray! We Made It!!

We made it through Day 1 of 1st Grade!!  The BIG time!  The day I'd been sweating over, worrying about, fabricating worst-case scenarios about (well, not really that, but it sounds good...). 

First.  Grade. 

Wow.

My girl is now in school full-time, sitting next to familiar faces at her very own desk, filled with her very own workbooks, having structured reading and math, art and music, PE three times a week (good thing we got her those new Pumas!!  Practical and stylin'!), and taking lunch with her 3 days a week and buying lunch 2, including the all-important Pizza Day, on Fridays.  Ummm...if my memory serves me correctly, Fridays have been Pizza Day since about the beginning of time, or at least since I was a kid.  And Wednesdays were pasta day.  Not sure if that one is still happening, but I'll have to check.

Yesterday, Monday, Day One, Samantha had a very good day.  I didn't get much in the way of details about her day from anyone, other than that she did well in the cafeteria, and stayed in her seat in class, and started to get a little tired by the time they did Math, after lunch, after Art.  Heck, that kind of timing would knock me out, too.  But up until the very end of the day, she did well. 

And then she lay down on the floor and wouldn't get up until Daddy came to pick her up.  But apparently that wasn't a very long time.  And apparently all of the kids were pretty spent by then, some laying across tables while doing Art, wishing for the now-impossible nap.  And we've had a little chat with the Princess to ensure that she understands that that is not acceptable behavior, so I doubt we'll see that again.

Oh, and about the bathroom?  Her resource teacher said she's going to get Sammi into the habit of going right after lunch.  Sounds perfect to me!  That way she'll expect it, she won't resist it, and she won't hold her water for 7 hours. 

This morning, I kissed my girl goodbye at the door to her classroom, then watched as she removed her backpack, hung it up, and took her seat at her desk.  And she was happy

And I was happy

Happy girl, on the walk to school.
 
Outside her classroom, before everyone else arrived.
 
Visible, in her pencil box, are just 2 of the 30 (!!) gluesticks required by 1st graders.
 
 

17 comments:

Lisa said...

Hooray Sammi!!! and Hooray Mom! So glad you hear you had a good first day.

wendy said...

Three Cheers for Sammi!!!!!So happy your day went well!

Deborah said...

Yay, Sammi! I'm imagining a classroom of limp noodle first graders, just lying around on their desks or floor, waiting for the day and art project to please be done. Kind of like that Salvadore Dali painting. I'm sure I'd be worn out at the end of school, too - it's a big transition. She looks super cute - and I'm glad there's a plan for the bathroom. :)

e.Beth said...

omg, what an adorable outfit! she is so stylin'. really hope to see you this weekend!

Becky said...

Oh this makes me happy too...yeah for Sammi! I love seeing this. Our kids are changing the world one kid at a time...and little changes evolve into awesome amazing changes for the world to see!!! Keep shining bright Sammi...:)

Leah said...

Yay for Sammi! And seriously? Could she BE any cuter?

Deanna said...

I woke up this morning just hoping that you would have this post up! LOVE. I'm so glad that it's all going well!

JC said...

I still can't believe she is in grade one already!! This post just made me happy...For you and for Sammi. She is going to have a great year :)

Wren said...

Yay for a great first day!

my family said...

yea Sammi so glad you had a great day

Unknown said...

So so happy! Happy 1st grade Sammi! Smiles

Anna said...

Yay Sammi! She is so beautiful and appears to be happy. Thirty glue sticks ?! that is a lot of glueing to be done! How FUN!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

Ellie says that Math and Art and PE all sound like serious big girl stuff.

Michelle said...

She looks so excited! Glad she had a great first day and here is to a great year!

Karrie said...

Yay Sammi!!! I am so glad to hear the first day went great! I can't believe how big she looks in the pictures! All Grown Up!!!

krlr said...

Happy (belated) first day of school!

Melissa said...

I knew she would do fabulously!!