Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday Whimsy: Photo Flashback: The First 4 Months

I look back at old photos, and have such a hard time being able to visualize the squidgy little newborn as the same Samantha we know today. Her personality certainly hasn't changed much - feisty and willful then, feisty and willful now, only with the added feature of being able to use words and much more capable actions to show us how feisty and willful she is. And boy, does she.

We'd gotten a new digital point-and-shoot in the weeks before Samantha was born, a step up from the digital dinosaur we'd been using.  Somehow I managed to throw just about every photographic convention I'd ever learned from my father and from my classes at the University out the window in favor of  the old, standard snapshots to capture the squirmy little being that had just joined and had already enhanced our lives.

One month old.  I was too scared to bathe her, up until she was big enough to sit on her own in her bathtub.  That, and clipping her nails, were exclusively Steve's jobs.  I didn't even want to change her clothes in the first few days she was home, leaving that to him or anyone else who came around to visit.  How on earth could you make those delicate little arms go into sleeves?  Would this delicate little china doll break if I tried?  Better to pass that massive responsibility on...




At 2 1/2 months old. Wow, where did that red hair go?? 




At 4 1/2 months, on O2 at home after OHS.  It was pretty torturous, and I can only say how grateful we are that it only lasted a few weeks before her sats rose enough to kiss that noisy monstrosity of a machine goodbye.

16 comments:

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

Um, RED hair?! Where did that go? Love her... love her... want to hug baby Sammi! (I'll hug big Kindergarten Sammi instead though!)

Anna Theurer said...

I love seeing old pictures of Sammi! Red hair! I never would have guessed seeing that she now has such beautiful locks of blonde. Andrew was more like you--afraid to dress and bathe Ellie. Now he dresses her , but the bath. . .

my family said...

oh what a beautiful baby and of course she still is

alicia said...

ohhhh so little!!! i was so afraid of bathing Elias, but most i was afraid of cutting his nails, i couldnt.

i have a request ! :) could you take a video of her and upload it? if not dont worry

Leah said...

Oh baby Sammi just made my sleep deprived morning. Too bad I couldn't look at that little face while up all night!

Anna said...

My children were all born with red hair too. My father is a redhead and he LOVED it, as well as his mother. (she had a thing for redheads) Sammi is and always will be a beauty. Inside and out.

Lacey said...

I love seeing baby pictures of her! Her hair was crazy just like Jax used to be. And the red, love it!

JC said...

Jordy's hair was that exact color when she was little...Bright orange! Now she is blonde, with a tinge of strawberry.
Sammi just looks like she was the cutes,t chubbiest, sweetest baby in the whole wide world!! Love these flash back pics :)

teal915 said...

Just as beautiful back then ; ) Love seeing "old" pictures.

Unknown said...

to fun! Sammi has always had the greatest hair! And her facial expressions are still the same! Love it! Smiles

Krista said...

Adorable. Are you sad that the red hair went? I can't even begin to imagine Ella as a newborn...I should drag out some flash back pics! So adorable.

Becca said...

I'm not 100% sure the red hair is completely gone, actually. For the last several years it continued to grow red out from the crown, and people would ask me if I dyed her hair because it was blonde with red stripes coming down!! However, now that she's older and spends more time outside, I think the sun may have bleached most of the red. It's still a bit strawberry-ish, though. And yes, I totally miss the red. I was completely shocked to have had a blue-eyed, red-haired child - that was my dream!! LOL Steve's a recessive red (he has red in his beard and under his arms, and he was a strawberry blonde as a child).

My Little Wonders said...

What an absolute cutie! I love Sammi's hair ... all that red. :) Reading the beginning, though, made me realize that Miss K will only continue to be feisty and just a *wee* bit willful (LOL) as she gets older ... I keep reminding myself that it'll serve her well when she grows up, if we can all make it that long!

The Annessa Family said...

Okay that first picture is just TOO precious! LOVE it!

Brooke
www.TheAnnessaFamily.com

Jen Currier said...

Love the photo flashback!!! Does it seem like a lifetime ago already? (It does for me and mine is younger than yours. LOL!)

Lochhead Family said...

Look at that red hair!! Just adorable. Thanks for sharing the flashback!