Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 9: Amazing Inspiration: Kelly Fitzgerald

One of my big worries when Samantha was born (sheesh, have I actually started the beginning of just about every post this month with those words, or am I just dreaming it?) was how she would never have children, never go to college, never live on her own, never drive.  Since then I've been so absorbed by the very few and far between stories of people with Down syndrome having children (very, very, very rare), living on their own (not as rare), getting their driver's licenses (also in that very, very very rare category).  Actually, I'd swear (but wouldn't venture to bet money on it) that I saw someone in my town with Ds, driving a van.  I could be sooooo wrong, just hoping against hope, but hey, who knows?   

I found this video on someone's blog last week (I think it's been out for a while, so I'm a little late to this party), and am completely blown away.  It's quite long, but if you even just watch the first 2 or 3 minutes, you'll get the picture.  This woman is amazing, and truly inspirational.  I like to think that anything's possible for Sammi and so many others with Down syndrome.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

what an amazing woman. So awesome how far she has been able to go. We all hope for this for our own kiddos. Nothing wrong in hoping, sometimes its all you can do! :)

Cathleen said...

With our luck, Lilly won't only drive... but she'll also want a very nice car for her 16th birthday. Ugh. :)