Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 10: How to Get Your Kid to Eat Vegetables in 3 Easy Steps

How to get your kid to eat vegetables in 3 easy steps:

1.  Lament in your Facebook status that you have failed, yet again, to get her to eat vegetables (makeshift, baked zucchini fries = colossal failure)

2.  Listen to your "friends" (real and virtual) who pipe in with advice.

3.  Actually try one of their suggestions.

Oh, the wonderful, magical, undeniable power of Facebook!  Nothing is TMI, nothing is taboo, nothing is too dumb/silly/simple/banal to make a status out of, and everything (okay, well, almost everything) garners countless comments from countless people whose names you may have heard before, whose faces you certainly have (most likely) never seen.

Thank you Cathleen (someone I actually do know IRL, btw...) for suggesting that I try letting Sammi cut her own veggies, giving her incentive to try her own creations! 

So after her bath, and after she brought the step stool into the kitchen from the powder room, I brought out the vegetable dip and hummus...



...gave Samantha a butter knife, and let her work her aggressions out on half a zucchini.



And she ate some.


9 comments:

Leah said...

Woo hoo!

Anna said...

awesome! Lil G will eat anything. (except those animal crackers you buy in the big bag. They had them in bulk at the orphanage-so they are "orphanage food")There are recipes for cauliflower mashed potatoes for when people are watching their carbs. I was shocked at how good they were.

Meriah said...

haha!! *big, deep, chuckle*!!!!!!! oh yes! facebook is all that and more, ain't it just.

I wanted to tell you how much I loved that video of Kelley F - I couldn't comment because I've been reading on my googlereader on the iphone which is read-only for now (it probably will oh, cook dinner, though, once I just figure it out - that phone does EVERYTHING)

ps. I never made the connection between cutting/cooking and liking the food. We have had Micah cooking since he could stand unsupported (he even has his own knife now) and plan - but of course - to do the same with Moxie.

Wren said...

Love it! I'm not sure Sutter's ready for even a butter knife at this point, but when the times comes I will for sure try this! :)

Rochelle said...

Great idea!

Cathleen said...

Yay! Also, if she's interested in cutting one up but not necessarily interested in trying it, bring out a couple different dips - hummus, ranch, veggie dill dip, and put them in little dip containers. She can "sample" them or just pick which she wants to try. Or, I'll cut up 3 colors of peppers and Lilly will pick which she wants. Or, I'll put a few different veggies on a platter and she can choose which she likes - usually she goes for carrots but there are always a couple bites out of the raw broccoli as well. She doesn't always love veggies but she's willing to try if we experiment (aka keep her on her toes). :)

lovemy3 said...

I've been told that before too...to let them help. It has helped with my "meat and potato" middle child. I've found too if you say your child "won't" do something they will prove you wrong!

Kelli said...

what a great idea!! Unfortunately, we aren't QUITE there yet with colin, but something to store away in the back of my mind! :)

Rob Monroe said...

Good thinking! We also do a lot of sliced veggies with dinner - carrots, zucchini and cucumbers are the normal ones. They are always there, acting as an alternative to whatever dinner she does not like before trying it... so every night! :)