Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 6: Biscuit Goes to School

So, she did it again!  After a week of reading her first Biscuit book that she got out of the school library, it was time to return it.  I was a little bit sad because she had completely taken us by surprise by reading it out loud, cover to cover, after she'd had it read to her just once, but also quite excited as I wrote a quick note to her teachers to ask them to ensure that she got another Biscuit book from the library this week.  And they were only too happy to comply. 

Here she is, reading Biscuit Goes to School, her 2nd Biscuit book, after having it read to her only once or twice in the last 2 days.  (She was also very tired and only 1/2 hour from bedtime, by the way.)  Certainly, there's some element of memorization here, and context also plays a big role - she knows to expect certain words here.  There's also recognition - she remembers that some of these words also appeared in the previous book, and she does recognize them here.  But, and this is the part the makes me really excited, she also has begun to sound words out.  You can see it some on this video, where she takes the sound of the first letter and tries to make it work with the others, within the context of the book.

Oh, and this is the last one I'll post, I promise...I'm just getting all of my mental jumping-up-and-down out, now that she's read 2 books on her own!  The next book will be old hat, right?

Enjoy (especially her sweet little greeting to the camera halfway through!), and please ignore the awful, blood-curdling, bone-chilling tooth grinding that she does when she's tired.  Ugh.

16 comments:

Heidi Ehle said...

:)

Unknown said...

Say Hi back to Sammi for me and Maddie!

I love to watch this...I love to hear Sammy read...I cannot imagine what it is like for you--Proud Mama! any tips on the teeth grinding?? I tell her to stop but I am not sure it works! smiles

Cheryl said...

Oh,My,Gosh! Just Awesome!!!!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

love. that's all i've got.

CJ said...

She's just amazing!!

Lisa said...

don't you dare stop posting about it!! it gives me hope we aren't far behind you!!

Patti said...

okay, I'm crying here. As silly as it sounds, one of the things that was hardest for me when Lily was born, was thinking that she would never read. This just blows me away!!!! Thank you for sharing it!

Kacey Bode said...

I'm so impressed!! Way to go Sammi!!!

Crazy Beautiful Love said...

Yea! I swear Becca everything you type about Sammi always sounds like my typical kid, who you know is the same age. Sammi is so friggin' smart!
I know some kids in Emma's class that couldn't do that!
-erin

Wren said...

She's amazing and so stinkin cute!

Beth said...

Outstanding!!

Esther said...

This is my first time on your blog, and I think I just fell in love with your daughter! Amazing!

Anna Theurer said...

Super Sammi!!!! Well, you certainly know how to make a grown woman cry tears of happiness. Thank you for sharing the video. I just love where tell Sammi to say "hi" to all of us readers!

She’s Our Butterfly said...

Oh Becca...that video is so awesome!! I know you all are so proud of Sammi and I know she is so proud of herself :) She is going to do great things in school!!

Bethany said...

Holy &%$# Rebecca, that is amazing! Ugh, I wish we didn't have the apraxia battle. Great job, Sammi!!!

JRS said...

Sophie sat on my lap as we both watched in awe. Holy cow! Sammi is an inspiration.
---Jen