Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sammi Reads Biscuit

Note:  Please turn your laptop or other computer-like device upside down to watch the first portion of the video below.  An alternative solution is to stand on your head for a few moments, if you're gymnastically-inclined.  My lame, tech-deficient self didn't even think about the fact that I should probably hold my Android in a particular (correct) direction.  But never fear, I eventually got a clue and turned it around.  And my lame, tech-deficient (and tired) self doesn't have the ability to figure out Movie Maker on the fly to fix it right now.  I promise you, though, my mistakes won't diminish the astounding content.

We've been working on reading for nearly a year now, using the So Happy To Learn  program with the esteemed Terry Brown, via e-mail.  Samantha has developed quite a keen interest in trying to read the words, and her knowledge of letter sounds helps her to sound words out (when she actually tries, rather than guesses).  While our genetically-enhanced children are known to be visual learners, Samantha's no exception, and absorbs sight words extremely well.  I love, also, that it seems her Kindy teacher also subscribes to this same method of learning for the whole class.

Samantha went to the library at school yesterday. Samantha took out a book. Nobody read it to her until late in the day when I read it to her...once...before shooting this video.  And this morning, before school, as I prepared her breakfast, she sat in the living room and read it again, on her own.  I listened in, thrilled over her efforts to sound out the words, even more thrilled as she read them correctly.  To say I'm proud is a vast understatement.  And to say we've lavished her with praise over this is another vast understatement.  She knows...

Enjoy! 

 


12 comments:

tekeal said...

oh my goodness!!! i feel so proud of her!! that's really, really REALLY exciting, and inspiring too.... keep up the great reading samantha (and mama and papa too)!

xx tekeal

Lori said...

Wow! Way to go Sammi! That is such an accomplishment to be proud of! =)

Kathy said...

wow. (I see a word theme here in the comments) WOW!!!!! That is fabulous.

Meriah said...

I'm swiping the tears! Awwww....!!! That's pulls my heart strings, seeing her little fingers follow the words and say them (can't actually hear - I could just see her lips moving when you fipped the camera around).
xoxoxo

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

a-mazing. go sammi!

Rochelle said...

Go Sammi, GO!

JC said...

Oh, this was fantastic!!!! She did such a great job, it is so easy to see just exactly how proud you must be of her!!

Wren said...

Happy, happy tears! She did a fantastic job reading that book! Her speech is so clear and I loved watching her little finger under each word!!! Such a proud moment I'm sure!

Michelle said...

oh that was wonderful! She did a great job reading and I loved her "ruff ruff" :) WTG Sammi!

Unknown said...

chad and I watching this and thinking how AWESOME!! thank you for sharing this...I have to say I have some HAPPY years! Sammi ROCKS! smiles

Rob Monroe said...

That's is SO cool! It's so fun that we can share that kind of stuff so easily - super exciting to see this! :)

Karrie said...

That is SOOO amazing!!! It gives me such hope and encouragement! Way to go, Sammi!!!