Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Graduation Day, Part II (or No More Whining from Me)

So, let’s see if I can commit to not whining for the rest of the week, okay?  I’ve got some nice, happy, positive stuff going on, too, not the least of which was Monday morning’s preschool graduation from Sammi’s public school. 
I’m still amazed that she has now been in school for a whole 3 years!  I know people always talk about full-inclusion or bust, but the two counties we have lived in where she has attended school, have only had self-contained preschool classrooms available to us, both with the 2-5 year age range combined.  And we were cool with that.  Samantha seriously learned so much there, and for that we are so grateful.  And certainly we are pursuing the full-inclusion format for Kindergarten on up, as we have seen how much she has blossomed in so many ways since attending her “typical” private preschool two days a week this year.
Monday's graduation did not consist of any "performances," and Samantha was very happy with that.  She was in her element, able to interact with parents, teachers and children in the way she wanted to interact.  She danced with the teachers, watched a slideshow of photos from the year, planted a seedling she had been growing, and ate the frosting off of a cupcake (I was honestly shocked she didn't want the rest of the cupcake!).  Gramma and Grampa came as well, and enjoyed watching the chaos of a bunch of little kids doing what little kids do best, charming the pants off of everyone.

Of course, there's a bittersweet ending even to this day.  I'm so sad that Sammi won't be able to go see Miss. D. and Miss T. anymore.  Every morning when she wakes up, she tells me whose class she's going to that day, excited to see the teachers (she's like that with both schools, but we know she'll still be seeing Miss K. and Miss R. at the private school until the end of the summer so I don't have to be sad about that just yet).  But she's a trooper, and I'm sure she'll bounce back quickly.

It's the end of an era, but on to the next adventure we go!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see Samantha's hands anywhere near getting dirty here...I think she knew exactly what she was doing.

With Gramma and Grampa, looking through the beautiful memory book, put together by her teachers, of photos and art projects.


Who needs lipstick, anyway? 

My star.

Proud graduate.


Next up, more about cereal and another great giveaway!!

9 comments:

Than4Keeps said...

She is a shinning star! Way to go sweet darling :~)

Unknown said...

that is a GOOD licking cupcake!! love the pix! and I bet the memory book is amazing! its ok to whine!! smiles

alicia said...

yay for no performances!! lol im always happy for less stressful situations ;)

Sammi is so pretty! i will never be tired of saying it hehe im sure she lights up the room!

congratulations!! another milestone archived!!

tekeal said...

oh, the cupcake lips! here's to a great new era...

Rob Monroe said...

Even more glad that she got to have this experience of celebration as well! At that age I was not so thrilled about the public-group attention...

JC said...

These pictures made me smile...A happy day :)...I look forward to reading all about the next phase in Sammi's life!

Jen Currier said...

I think preschool graduation IS a bittersweet day. Congratulations on this milestone!! Does Sammi not like getting her hands dirty? Because that seems to be the case with my little Elijah- he puts his hands into his food and then looks at them like, "EEww. What is this stuff?!" LOL!

Anna said...

I dont see how you get anything done. She is just soooooo beautiful. Little G has been going to VBS this week and I am loving it. (coming home tired tho'! wink wink) You are so blessed to have so many people involved in Samanthas world.

JaybirdNWA said...

That last pic made me smile. She is a cutie and sounds like a very active little girl.