Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Creating Smiles, Giving Thanks


Thanksgiving is upon us. Unbelievable, but true. Makes me feel old, thinking about how quickly time is passing, but that commentary can be saved for another post at another time.

While I’m thankful for SO many things, not the least of which are my family and my (our) health, I thought I’d make this post strictly Samantha-centric. Let’s face it, the (my? our?) world revolves around that child. My blog friend over at Chromosomally Enhanced posted 21 things about her adorable daughter, Maddie, that make her smile, and just the fact that Samantha also makes me and everyone around her smile constantly, is reason to give thanks, so I’m stealing that idea.

These exist in no particular order:

1. how she asks, “Mommy, you happy?” as her gauge of how copacetic things are and whether all is right with her world

2. how she “wakes” her daddy up by tickling him and saying, “tickle, tickle, tickle!” a la Kai-lan and Mr. Sun

3. the way she tries to whistle by pursing her lips and saying “hoo hoo hoo

4. her generous but mischievous spirit, offering everyone around her a bite of her snack, then snatching her hand and proffered snack back and giggling

5. her empathy for those who are sad or in pain

6. how she totes her Olivia doll everywhere she goes

7. her attempts to convince us she thinks something is yummy (when she really thinks it’s yucky) by scrunching up her face in disgust and saying, “mmmm, yummy (insert name of yucky vegetable here)"

8. her sweet little voice when she sings her ABCs or Happy Birthday

9. how she treats me like one of her dolls, tucking me into her bed and scolding me if I speak or try to get up or even open my eyes (“lie down! no talking! go to sleep!”)

10. her ability to charm the pants off anyone we meet (seriously, maybe we're just lucky, but I have never gotten a negative reaction to her)

11. how gentle she is with the cats

12. her desire to “help” with whatever you’re doing

13. her intoxicating blue eyes

14. her evil laugh (oh, she is so up to something!)

15. how she stalls at bedtime, making every detour known to mankind before finally heading for the steps to go up to her room, me right behind her, attempting to corral her

16. how she announces her entry to the day when I walk into her room in the morning or after a nap with, “I wake up!”

17. her ability to love unconditionally

18. how she stops to hug or kiss each and every child and baby we walk past when we’re out and about (okay, this is actually kind of annoying, but sweet nonetheless)

19. the scar on her chest that signifies how truly thankful we are that her heart has been repaired

20. all the out-of-the-blue hugs and kisses that are planted on me when I least expect them and most need them

21. hearing “I love you, too, Mommy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that! Thanks for sharing your heart!

JC said...

What a sweetheart Sammi is...and that is possibly the cutest picture of have seen of her yet!! Love it :)

Rochelle said...

Beautiful post. So many wonderful things to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

JRS said...

What a touching post. I'm thankful to have met your family and hope to see you again soon.
---Jen

evrfwd said...

What a sweetie pie! This post was so heartwarming. Sammi is so wonderful! We are blessed to have her in this world. Your post made me think about about the things Maya will be doing one day...she is a bit of a rascal mostly these days...but I also am very lucky/blessed to have her in my life.

tekeal said...

thanks for sharing that list... very sweet indeed.

cRaZy beautiful love said...

That is beautiful. Number 19 is by far my favorite! :) I just wanted to share: my husband was looking at this beautiful picture you took of Samantha and said "That is the most beautiful little girl. I don't care what standards you are going by..she is gorgeous."
You are so very blessed.

Renee said...

Regarding #15 - can you bottle up some of your patience and send it to me. I desperately need it!