Friday, May 9, 2014

Racing for Respect and, Apparently, Hardcore Points



I had been envisioning my first 5k race, in front of the US Capitol, to be covered by a blue sky and warm sun, mild and breezy, framed by the pink blooms of awakening cherry blossoms.  It was to be at the very end of March, after all...

But what I got for my first 5k race was something very different.  Grey, windy, rain-soaked, and a bone-chilling cold that saw snow in most of the area later the same afternoon.  Go figure.  I was more than happy to run in it, knowing that once I got going, the warmth in my muscles would eclipse what was going on around me, but I was concerned for Steve and Samantha, who were coming to support me.  I'd been talking up the Kid's Dash to Samantha for weeks, promising her I'd run it with her, convincing her that it would be so much fun.  I couldn't just turn and tell Steve to keep her at home, having her miss a memorable event for a cause that benefits people with Down syndrome in our region.  No way.  Gotta toughen her up, right? 

Ha.

I did tell them to go find somewhere warm to go while I ran my race, then re-join me in time for the Kid's Dash, which is exactly what they did.  But, after I completed my own portion of the race, they re-emerged in time for the Kid's Dash, and Sammi ran, giggling the whole way, holding the hands of myself and a friend. 

The highlight of the day?  Seeing her so proudly holding up the dog tag given to her at the end, hoisting it above her head, shouting, "I won!  I won!

Priceless.


Proudly displaying her prize
 
And I have heard that people who run in those kinds of conditions get a hardcore point status elevation to heights of legendary proportion.  Well, perhaps in our own minds, which is what counts most, right? 
 
I went on to run one more race this season, last weekend, in my own neighborhood, in the beautiful weather I'd hoped I'd have.  I finished in good time, 87th overall out of 272, and 3rd in my age/gender group, out of 15. 
 
Mission accomplished.
 
Crossing the finish line
 
After the race
 


5 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations on both races! I love Sammi's face as she's holding the tag. What a smile!

wendy said...

Love the pictures! Congratulations on running in both races!!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

Double hardcore, since I raced on those same weekends this season.

Hardcore rain for R4R, hardcore heat last weekend.

Tamara said...

Congrats to you both! What a fun thing for Sammi to do - you're setting a great example.

Unknown said...

Congrats and welcome to the obsession. I was just doing one race last year and YIKES now I am doing 3 this month. Congrats on finishing with a smile!