Monday, January 14, 2013

Naming Places

Self portraits in the bathroom mirror
 
For so long we felt it wasn't worth it to confuse Samantha with the actual proper names for places.  I mean, doesn't it make more sense to describe a destination or location by its function rather than it's name?  Not like I'd go and call a person person instead of Mr. So-and-so, just because they're, well, a person, but I think you get what I mean. 
 
Starbucks or Caribou or wherever was always the coffee shop.  Worked for the purpose of conversation.  McDonald's was just a generic restaurant.  Giant was the grocery store.  Easy, right?  But once Samantha started to learn to read, and could physically see for herself the differentiation of title vs. function, we began to finally introduce the real names.  I remember driving with her a year or so ago, past a CVS drugstore, when Samantha called from the back seat, "Look, Mommy, it's Caves!"  Trust me, it took me a while to actually figure out what the hell she was talking about.  Caves?  Oh, holy cow, CVS!!!  And from there, the rest fell into place. 
 
Target is Target, Giant is Giant, etc.  I'm not sure if I was selling her short by assuming it would confuse her to call them by their real names, or if she really just wasn't at a stage of making those connections, but I must say, it was more convenient to do that.  But with the ability to read, her world has opened up even bigger than it had been, and everything began to take on new, more detailed identities.  I'm able to tell her where we're going, and she can make a mental picture of it, know exactly what to expect. 
 
Is it just me?  Have any of you also done this?  It sounds so weird to now be putting it down in writing, to actually acknowledge it, and now I'm beginning to feel a bit foolish.  C'mon, you've gotta be in this with me, right?
 
  
Awww, what's wrong, Mommy?
 
Hmmm...botox not necessary.  I'm beautiful!  (btw, no, we did not cut her hair - she's just been twisting the front until it breaks off, so it's a bit ragged and just below her ears now.  The back is still long, and not visible in this pic.)

11 comments:

ckbrylliant said...

We have done this with all of our kids not just Bridgie. My five year old son still calls Target the popcorn and blue drink store...and I love it. It's not McDonald's its ole macdonald's. It's not coke, it's brown soda. My 7year old daughter now tries to correct him because 'she knows'!!! Fun.

Unknown said...

In the first pix you look like twins! Love the pix! We did the same with Max and do this with Maddie...your not selling her short you are teaching her meaning of arbitrary bricks and mortar! Smiles

goldenleaves said...

Caves? That is the cutest and funniest thing ever! What a smart girl you have!

Cathy said...

hmmmm...i guess i do that too. lily...we are going to the store. lily...we are going out to eat. i will be rethinking this! thanks, becca!!

Unknown said...

I never really thought about it that way, but I suppose, especially with reading, that it might be better to actually say the name of the place. I usually say grocery store, but I do say Target because....it's Target! :) Great topic for discussion and tell Sammi that I like Caves better than CVS! :)

Leah Spring said...

I always gave my kids the names. "I need to run to Walgreens to pick up medicine." etc. They were able to tell me early on which ones they didn't like based on the name. After all, I could be getting medicine at target, which they like, verses medicine at Walgreens which they do not.

Deanna said...

I'm so glad to see this post today. I have been struggling with similar thoughts and am afraid to write them down lest I be judged. Thanks as always for paving the way. (-: Also- YAY Sammi!

Anna said...

You are a great mom. Just don't walk down the path that leads to mommy guilt. It takes you to a place you have no business visiting! Great photos!

JC said...

Oh I did this with all my kids.
There is nothing to feel bad about, I think we all do this with our kids and eventually they surprise us with how much they know!
With Russell I just say "Let's go to town" and that covers all the bases! haha...He knows that means we are getting out of the house, most likely going shopping at a few stores, and probably seeing Nana and Papa. I will deal with more details when he is older! lol

How awesome that Sammi can read the signs...And that first picture is hilarious! Too cute.

April Vernon said...

I LOVE the pictures! So great!

Arlynn's Sister said...

I do the same thing with Arlynn and was also wondering if anyone else did it too. With her flashcards, it's not a cat vs. a kitten like the cards would say. They are both cats. Both her straw cup and bottle are "milk". I am so afraid of confusing her so I try to keep it simple and not get into specifics. Maybe when she's older and has a better understanding I can start naming things for what they actually are like you did with Sammi.