Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bringing the Donuts

It sounds like a sentence you'd find in a Home Economics textbook, circa 1950. 

Bring baked goods to IEP meetings to help set the tone...

I've heard it many times before, that bringing treats to your IEP meeting will help foster a more congenial atmosphere, one that may help breed collaboration and agreement.  Too many times those meetings are a time to dread, to be suited up for battle with the school systems.  I've been there.

This time, however, we knew that would not be the case.  I consider us very lucky in that respect.  And I'm not bragging about this, I'm just stating that we're fortunate, as I'd mentioned in my post last week, to have an IEP team that is on the same page as we are regarding Samantha's education and development. 

We went through the document, page by page, nodding our agreement after each.  In a way, the document is more complex because it now includes academic goals going into 1st grade.  But in a way, it was much simpler because it didn't break out the short-term goals to be hit at each quarter.  We just had to agree on the end-result to be met by the end of next April.  And it was a bit simpler also because the goals were based on the standard 1st grade testing that would be given to all 1st graders next spring. 

1st grade.  Wow. 

Placement discussion was easy.  Typical 1st grade class, brief, 30-minute weekly pull-outs for PT, ST, OT, 1:1 aide (same one she has now, one of her resource teachers, who we absolutely adore).  See, simple.  ESY will consist of Samantha being placed in a typical Summer School class with 1st graders who are entering 2nd grade in the fall (again, likely with the same resource teacher as her aide).  There is no Kindergarten Summer School class, so I'm actually pretty thrilled about this placement.  And even more thrilled that it will be held in her home school this year.  Hooray for consistency!!!

There was no dread, no suiting up, no battle.  But there were baked goods.

This time, we brought a dozen donuts with us. 

Just because we like everyone.

13 comments:

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

How do I get Sammi on my caseload? No parents have ever brought me donuts at an IEP meeting. And while I don't particularly like donuts, it would be really really nice.

Anna Theurer said...

Great idea about the donuts. I am glad that all went well with Sammi's IEP. Ours is in Sept and I am so nervous.

Rob Monroe said...

So great to all be on the same side, it's not always the case. :) Always easier to know she is going the right places and having outside voices confirm/tell you that.

Extranjera said...

Wow. This whole parenthood thing is much more complex than I'd ever imagined.
Now I'm supposed to know when to carry baked goods? I thought it was enough to know when not to swear. I have so much to learn.
Does it have to be donuts though? And is it okay if they're the crap ones from Costco?
All that aside, so frikken exciting about first grade! And the summer placement. Awesome!

Wren said...

Sounds like a great IEP - we have on more IFSP and then we transition over to the IEP. I'll be soaking up as much information I can between now and then! :)

1st grade???? Didn't she just have her first day of kindergarten yesterday...where has the school year gone?!

Lisa said...

Yeah! Its nice to have a year of no surprises isn't it - bet we don't get that luxury forever. I actually had the thought of talking cookie to our IEP but got busy & forgot. I need to remember it next year.

Rochelle said...

What a fantastic schedule for her and for this summer! WOO HOO! Can't wait to see how she blooms in 1st grade!

Unknown said...

Our children DO have THE most awesome IEP team and resource teachers EVER! I feel blessed every day and I know that my daughter is going to be successful at school with them there to help her.

Glad your meeting was a breeze. :)

teal915 said...

Yeah, that's great. I always have some type of food for Kamdyn's eval.

Leah said...

That is so great to hear. Just spent this weekend in seminars about IEP and got really nervous. Even though it's still a ways off I know that it'll be here before we know it. So glad that Samantha is where you want her to be!

JC said...

Wow...1st grade coming up already!! So awesome that your meeting went so well :)

Unknown said...

Maddie's IEP is monday! I am bringing baked goods...this is GOOD...I think I have already made these people squirm...I have really been a pill and resistant to everything...like a kid drawing a line in the sand...they have done nothing but great things for Maddie...I just get hung up on the standardized tests and comparisons... in fact the results came in the mail today and I have not opened them...I will later! great tip! smiles

Melissa said...

We don't have Claire's IEP for a few more months, but I've already decided that food can't hurt. :)

Glad Sammi's meeting went well and you are happy with where she'll be next year.