Friday, March 30, 2012

Meriah's Run for Cancer

I'm taking a brief hiatus from my running travelogue today to help a friend help others.

My friend Meriah has issued a plea, one that I am more than happy to pass along.  Several months ago, she pledged to run a half-marathon to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphomia Society in honor of a little boy named Oliver and other children like him, who are fighting for their lives with cancer.  I'm not nearly as eloquent as Meriah, and am pasting here an e-mail she sent me the other day.  I hope you will all be able to help!  Please share this post, or hers, to help get the word out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running a half marathon on May 6 up on Humboldt County for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I know that you didn't ask me to do this. That the impetus for deciding to do it is mine, all mine. That others shouldn't have to feel that they *need* to donate to this cause, because, after all, it's a cause that I chose, not you, right?

Only it's not really.

Because you know someone that has died of cancer - and if you don't, then I can guarantee you that in your life span, you will. Chances are high that it will be someone you love. It might even be yourself.

Cancer is everywhere. We don't know how it gets started, we don't know how to make it go away for good. We won't know these things either, unless and until we step up with the research and unfortunately, researchers neither work for free nor does the government provide adequate funds in this area.

I'm hosting as big a giveaway in appreciation for donations as I possibly can right now on my blog:
http://www.withalittlemoxie.com/2012/03/giving-for-love-giving-for-life.html#.T2tDNtVv-Ag

There are a lot of prizes but most of all, I know you'd just feel good in knowing that you gave to a cause that is doing a whole lot of good. It's tax deductible. You can send me a check if you prefer. You can donate online: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/AveGiant12/mnicholyxm#Its-Not-For-Me .

While big dollars are vastly appreciated, I know that's not in everyone's reach - and every $5, $10, $20, $50 counts towards the $1,400 that I need to raise, is used responsibly in helping to find cures and better treatments for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma
Please give. Whatever you can. If you have given already, I would deeply appreciate it if you would help to spread word, share this message.

Do it for yourself, your children. Your own family. Your friends. The people in your life that stand a huge chance of contracting some type of cancer. Do it for all of us.

Thank you.

Meriah

1 comment:

Leah said...

Hi Becca! Love this post! Sorry to commandeer but just trying to get some comments posted on blogger... My blog is gone today. I can't figure out how to retrieve it-- it's like it never existed. Over a year of my posts! Ack! Trying to see if I can post comments and also to see if anyone has any ideas. www.ourcorabean.blogspot.com