Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chasing the Crafty DIY Birthday Party

(Quick note to remind you all to vote again for Samantha today for the Parents Magazine weekly contest - at the end of the time period, the 10 weekly winners will vie for a cover shot!  As of today she's at #41!  It only takes a few seconds to click the link, click the "vote" button and type in the word recognition, then voila!  You can vote once daily per IP address, which means that if you access multiple computers, including your cell phone, you can vote from each.  Here's the link: http://photos.parents.com/category/vote/photo/863057/46 Thanks!!!)

So I'm not in the least bit creative, am a HUGE procrastinator, and tend to opt for the quickest shortcuts when trying to exert my creativity to make something new.  This often results in sub-standard crafts that fall apart and look shabby.  Kind of like someone took a shortcut...  However, reading so many blogs where people showcase their own brilliance in birthday-party-planning, as shoved in my face by their drool-inducing photographs of the events (oh, seriously, if I see one more beautiful, hand-made cloth banner from colorful, sewn cloth strips, I'm going to have to get a sewing machine of my own to sit in my closet, gathering the dust of ages of disuse) , I am once again feeling the urge to create.  Samantha's party is in 2 weeks.  Am I ready?  Not really, but I'm getting closer...

The theme this year is Olivia.  Parents of little girls know exactly who this is.  If you don't, click here.  I love Olivia, the smart, precocious little pig with a wild imagination.  Many of you know that Samantha is/was pretty much obsessed with Olivia, although that obsession seems to have lessened this year as Peppa Pig has grown in dominance (sense a pig thing here?).  However, even if I am a little bit late to the game with this, she still will appreciate the theme, and I think it's pretty darn cute myself.  :-)

I started my "planning" (I use this term very lightly) a few weeks ago, and have begun to obtain lots of red and white to decorate our little corner of the playground for her party.  I wishwishwish we could have had her party at home this year, but our back yard and our basement seriously just aren't there yet, not fit for use by humans.  Maybe one day.  But since her birthday is on May 30th, the weather is usually pretty darn beautiful, and a playground is the perfect location where the children can play and enjoy themselves, then scarf down pizza and cake (the pizza part has proven to be a bit of a challenge every year, as the delivery guys swear up and down that they won't deliver to a park - I insist otherwise, and they eventually bend to my will).

I discovered that unless you plan even further in advance (see?  That sneaky word plan rears its ugly head again...) and order from a website, you cannot get Olivia decorations or party supplies, so DIY it is.  I kind of didn't want to go the commercial route anyway, again inspired by those beautiful blog posts of the super-moms.  We'll see.  My budget is, like, $0, so I'm hitting up Michael's and Target, possibly Walmart soon (read:  the night before the party).  Red and white are good, popular colors this time of year, as we enter into Fourth of July season, so my options are pretty endless.  I'm actually having fun with this, and if I manage to pull it off, I'll certainly take the time to pat myself on the back.

...that is if all of my decorations don't disintegrate before the guests arrive...

Maybe I should ask the guests to bring their own gluesticks.

 

13 comments:

Beth said...

The party will be great!

When I voted this morning, Sammi was already #39, and now I just checked and she's 37!! You might want to update that link sooner than tomorrow!

krlr said...

Oh this made me laugh - we are doing the exact same thing this week except with Club Penguin, which you also cannot buy party supplies for at the usual places and which we are now out of time (nevermind out of $$) to special order from Disney. So blk & white ballons for us. I will NOT be hot glue gunning together a giant iceberg or igloo. Hopefully my son won't be scarred forever by the lack thereof.

Anyway, I've been reading you for a couple months (?) & have now officially delurked. Your daughter is gorgeous!

CJ said...

You rock!! The party will be awesome!

Unknown said...

I love Olivia..I love when she says me and my bother! instead of brother...and the other day her mom said sometimes Olivia you make me tired! I love it!...cannot wait to see pix of the party! I saw they had some little Olivia dolls at target and thought of Sammi! you could always do a cake pop!! so easy and kiddo love them! smiles

Renee said...

The stuff for the party looks great so far! I don't think I could ever do my own decorations.

Stephanie said...

I need to get on the ball and start planning Aiden's party.

Roo's Mom said...

Just voted again. Good luck Sammi!
Love your Olivia theme. Roo's birthday festivities have been a little hit or miss over the years. We had a huge party for her 1st birthday, mostly to show our appreciation for all the people who prayed for her while she was in the NICU and later. Another big one for 2nd, smaller for 3rd, 4th & 5th were very small with one friend each time, then 6th was a yoga party with her girl classmates. That was great. Her 7 year old b-day was another small one and then this year we did nothing but go out to dinner and unwrap presents. Too many other commitments at the same time and then Spring Break.

Hope Sammi has a lovely birthday, and that you feel a sense of accomplishment when it's all said and done.

alicia said...

we loooooveee Olivia!! a year ago i made not-professional cupcakes to my friends' daughter who loved Olivia!! hehe it was a huge task but hey it was ok. :) and success with the little girl! hehe

im sure you will make a beautiful party! wish i was near to help :)

mama to j and bean said...

She's at #37 now!!! And your decorations are adorable!

Karrie said...

Your party decorations look great!!! I know what you mean, though, about seeing all these crafty women on other blogs. It makes me sooo jealous! I want to do that stuff, too, but just can't seem to find the time, money, creative energy, etc.......

Your party is going to be great!!!
:)

Carrie said...

Looks like a great party to me!! And I'm all about DollarTree/short-cut homemade decorations. Can't wait to see all the party pics! Yay for b-day parties!

evrfwd said...

I'm so excited to see the photos! This party is gonna be great I just know it. I wish we could come and party it up with you. =) I love Olivia...I wish Maya loved her as much. hehehehe

Melissa said...

I have lots of crafty intentions, but that is always about as far as I get....Super mom I am not!

The party, and the decorations, will be great!