Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It's Cottage Cheese, Folks, Not Ricotta...

Now why did I say ricotta was in the pancakes?  Yuck, that would probably not have worked, unless you happen to prefer marinara over maple syrup...  I have made the change to my previous post, lest anyone else come across that great secret, give it a try, and get completely grossed out.

My father has sent me an e-mail correcting me and sent me the painstakingly detailed recipe for his famous pancakes for those of you who were interested:

a) mix 3 large eggs in bowl w. 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp +/- cinnamon and 1 tablespoon brown sugar

b) add 1 cup flour and mix until it's completely thick and pasty

c) add 1 cup sour cream---mix well

d) add 1 cup cottage cheese ( I usually use 2% small curd but others will do nicely )--mix well until you have a consistency that will pour easily, but won't be too runny. Add and mix in 3/4 - 1 cup blueberries and/or raspberries or other berries. Make sure you've crushed them well enough that they won't go popping out of the batter when you griddle them

e) preheat griddle to 350. Do a test cake. Griddle until the batter starts to bubble throughout the entire surface and then flip It really helps to press the cakes with your spatula until the berries have been set nicely and continue to press and cook until the batter has cooked through. This takes a few minutes. Don't rush it. Try it out when it cools a bit. Of course, use only real maple syrup. Feel free to sprinkle more cinnamon on the cakes before taking them off the griddle. Also helps to dab a touch of margarine on each cake before taking them off the griddle. Transfer to a warming bowl and stow in the oven on WARM while you're doing the next batch or two.

f) this serves 2-4 depending on appetites and how well they came out. Leftovers can be frozen.

Enjoy!!!

And thanks, Dad!

7 comments:

Lochhead Family said...

My grandmother used to always put cottage cheese in her pancakes. It was always by memory and I never wrote down a recipe. I'll have to try this one and see if it compares to those memories -- thanks!!

Lisa said...

We made orange-ricotta pancakes for dinner last night and they were DELICIOUS. I think you can generally use cottage cheese or ricotta in place of one another. But your dad's recipe sounds yummy :). Need to try.

Rob Monroe said...

So funny! They do sound yummy (and looked yummy yesterday!)!

Runningmama said...

Ha Ha Ha...you gave me a good laugh when I needed it today...Thanks!

Becca said...

Just an FYI, apparently you *can* make pancakes with ricotta, and ricotta *can* be used somewhat interchangeably with cottage cheese (although my husband thinks it may be more dense if you do that). Shows what I know about cooking...

Dawn said...

The recipe sounds yummy. I would never think to add cottage cheese or even ricotta to pancakes.

You've made me hungry now by reading your blog. I'm definitely going to try them out. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. (Tell your dad thanks too.)

Stephanie said...

I can't make pancakes, but Chris and Aiden love them.