Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 24: Happy Birthday Mom Mom


My Mom Mom was born on this day back in 1921.  She passed away in 2004 after a long battle with Alzheimer's, but had she lived, she would have been 89 today.

She was the strong-type grandmother that you thought would live forever.  She worked her whole life, as a beautician in her early years then owning and running a grocery store/butcher shop with my grandfather until they retired.  She had three boys - my father and my two uncles, and loved to host large family gathering for which she prepared the most amazing home-cooked meals.  She was the classic Jewish grandmother, doting on you when you were sick, making the most perfect chicken-matzoh-ball soup that could banish any illness that may have plagued you.  She spoke in Yiddish in moments of greatest import, to express anger or to bestow affection.  I still hear the occasional word in random places, which makes me pause to remember how it sounded coming from her.

She never met Samantha.  I think about this sad fact often.  I know precisely how she would have loved her and doted on her, as she did me and my cousins.  Samantha is the first (and only, still at this point) great-grandchild, and I remember Mom Mom saying often how much she wanted one.  I am sad that she never had that chance, especially given how much Samantha looks like her.  I see it every day.

So happy birthday, Mom Mom.  I like to think that you can see this beautiful girl I brought into the world and that you can occasionally let her know that you are there with her, so she can have the good fortune to know you, too.

3 comments:

miradoro1 said...

So neat of you to remember Mom Mom with this post. I was thinking of her today, too. She would have loved and doted on Samantha.
Momm

Lacey said...

I think it is so cute that you call her mom mom! I so miss my grandma, more than I ever thought I would. I know she would have loved Jax, and all my boys.

Sheva said...

What a beautiful post. Im sure she has such nachas from your words and how you are raising your daughter.