Monday, May 18, 2009

Having a Ball








Just a few quick pics from the DSANV picnic on Saturday. Not as soggy as last year, and definitely more fun (read: No Meltdown). Actually, Samantha seems to be so much more content lately, relaxed and enjoying doing lots of different things. Still not eating anything that's not on the very short list of Samantha-approved foods, but all of her doctors say that's okay, since she's certainly growing appropriately. Oh, speaking of doctors, we got Samantha in for an appointment with Dr. Lewanda, her geneticist. If you recall, I had mentioned that I was disappointed that she'd missed an appointment a few weeks ago, and the next date we could get wasn't until November. But the waiting list came through for us, and we got a call last week. Dr. Lewanda uses both the Ds chart and the typical chart when measuring height and weight, and Samantha's in the 50-75th percentile for weight (34 lbs.) on the typical chart, and in the 50th percentile for height (37") on the typical chart. Perfectly average. :-) I'm quite happy with that! Steve will tell you I'm the one that's always worried when she doesn't want to eat a meal or if she only has half of her dinner, and I'll try to make her eat it. He gets annoyed with me, telling me to let her be, if she doesn't want to eat, don't force her. I know he's right, and I know she's certainly not going to suffer from a missed meal, but I worry anyway.

8 comments:

Renee said...

It looks like Samantha had a great time at the picnic.

I know it is hard not to worry about what she eats, but most kids her age only eat one good meal a day (or even every day according to one of the pediatricians we saw with Wesley). It sounds like she is doing great. I can't wait to see her and you and Steve.

Lacey said...

Looks like a great picnic. I am trying to get in to our genetisit for Jax because we haven't had a chance yet, and they are booked until the end of the year, crazy.

Monica Crumley said...

What cute photos! It sounds like we're going through similar struggles w/ food. Samantha is growing well, though... awesome!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

She is SO cute! Looks like FUN!!!!

Jeanette said...

Great pictures. She is so precious. You sure can see a lot of her daddy in her. I worried about my 5 year old's eating as well. He would miss meals or just pick at his food on some meals and eat just fine at others. Now Sydney is doing the same and Randall has to remind me that Anthony did it too.... don't worry. Argh, I'm a mom, it's my job. =0)

Unknown said...

Looks like a great time was had by all at the picnic.
I must say she is soooooo darn cute!

Nicole said...

Looks like Samantha had a great time. The pics are great! I swear, you always take wonderful pictures.

Michelle said...

It looks like the picnic was such a fun time!

I used to stress so much about the food Kayla was/wasn't eating. It's hard - cause you think they need to eat as often/much as we do. Even though everything I read said not to force the issues, that kids will get enough calories throughout the day, they'll eat when they're hungry, they wont' starve etc...I still felt like she wasn't eating enough. I talked to someone on base and she told me that my responsibility is to make/prepare/serve Kayla healthy, nutritious meals and snacks and my responsibiilty endds there. Once the plate is in front of Kayla it is her responsibility to eat. I'm trying to live by that (with Lucas too!) but it is hard!