Thursday, January 22, 2009

Little Bully

Can't say I'm feeling so much pride this time--reports from school are that Samantha has been behaving like a little bully. No, not in those words, of course. Today she was quite agressive. I'd like to be able to blame it on something, like the antibiotics we started giving her yesterday to try to make the snot stop flowing from her nose continuously (the doctor thinks it's an infection of some sort, since it just keeps going and going and going...). But I'm sure it's all just part of her learning process. She sees things and copies them. She "feels" like doing something, so she does it, hoping to test her boundaries and to test her teacher's patience. She is wronged, so she strikes back. Today she pulled the blanket off of a sleeping little girl and hit her on the head. She thought a little boy on the slide in front of her was going too slowly, so she pushed him down it. I do have to say, though, that I'm proud of her for this next transgression--she showed that she can stick up for herself and not let anyone push her around. A little boy pushed her down at one point today. She looked shocked and then vindictive, as she lifted her legs and gave him a kick in return. Man, she's feisty! Am I wrong for feeling a little relieved? I don't want her to get the wrong message that it's okay to hit someone, even if they knock you down. But is that the wrong message? Maybe not--my little girl will have to fight, figuratively, for many things as she grows up. She's going to have to learn that she has to stand her ground. Maybe not in agression, but in other ways. Maybe this is just the beginning, the early form of that non-physical fight it will ultimately turn into. Starts out physical, then morphs as she learns about the other types of defenses she can use to make her point and be heard.

Lastnight, I had some black beans and diced tomatoes in a bowl that I was feeding her at dinner on the side (I try to introduce her to new things when I can--she's quite fussy!). She pointed at it and said, "poop". I told her I didn't understand, so she kept repeating it, and pointing more vehemently. Suddenly, I realized--she was saying "soup". She looked thrilled that I figured out what she was saying, but all I could do was laugh. She'll mimic almost any word, but the first consonant is usually either changed to the last consonant in the word, or removed altogether.

Well, it's 10:30, and I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open. Time for bed...

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Feisty little thing! It is so hard to know where to draw the line between sticking up for yourself and being a bully.

Jeanette said...

I think all kids go through this stage. My sons both did as well. I wonder if Sydney will too?!? I would also feel relieved that she has a strong side. My oldest (my step-son) was a wimp and burst into tears at the slightest transgression. (I noted the step because we are not sure if it was ingrained in his personality or taught to him by his mother) Anyway we were worried about him going to Kindergarted... he was a walking target! He managed to find his self-defense strength and even went through a short stage of bullying. So, I figure if he had a bully stage... anyone can. =0)

Kacey Bode said...

Yay on the house (the post before.) Ella is pretty aggressive too. I have to say that I kind of find it funny, though I don't try to encourage it. At least our girls won't get bullied around themselves : ) Very cool on the "poop" thing too!!

Carol N. said...

Yep, she may just have been having an off day - and like you said, not feeling well to boot.

Love the poop/soup story - and to hear that Aidan is not the only fussy eater!

Amy Flege said...

that sweet looking little think a bully??? naahhh

Michelle said...

Sammi, Matty is right there with you:)